16.1.11

von Mises

This is the first of what will, hopefully, be many installments as I plod through Human Action. But the reader should be aware: These are, for the most part, reflections from my reading as I go. These are not reflections by a guy who has finished HA, or a guy who is consulting outside sources to corroborate his interpretation. These posts are, in a way, journal entries. I will endeavor not to post anything flat-out wrong, but neither am I researching and backing up my assertions/interpretations.

In this inaugural post, the reader should be aware that it appears to me that von Mises posits a mere two initial truths (life and happiness). But that's just what I'm seeing. If a Misesian knows better, I encourage him to correct me in the comments box.

My Limited Misesian Background
Although I have read a lot about von Mises, prior to this project I havn't read much by him (just a few stray essays/excerpts from books, plus his book Bureaucracy.

BTW:
Bureaucracy
, incidentally, didn't greatly impress me. Basically, the book has one tremendous insight, and then the rest of the book elaborates on it. I think the same point could've been made cogently in fewer than 5,000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment